Monday, July 03, 2006

Metal Sensitive? Great News!

Introducing the wonder alloy...Niobium!!

If you, like me, have found that putting anything short of 14K gold through your earlobes is pure torture, there is a new alternative that is much easier on the pocketbook!

Niobium is a fairly new, and relatively unknown, alloy that is being used to make truly hypoallergenic ear wires. Of course there can never be a 100% guarantee that this, or any, metal can be worn by everyone, but many people, even those who have never been able to wear metal jewelry of any kind (including gold and titanium), have found that they can wear niobium with no irritation! With the price for niobium falling around the same as, or a bit lower than, Sterling Silver, for many of us they are a fashion Godsend!

I personally fall into the mid to upper range as far as sensitivity goes and I might as well jam a rusty nail through my ears for all the good traditional "hypoallergenic" metals do for me. Even gold will cause irritation, pain, and redness within a couple of hours. However, I've tried the niobium and let me tell you...even after a full day of wearing them I didn't notice any discomfort. No more naked lobes for me!! =)

Another fabulous (and fun!!) feature of niobium is that you can get the ear wires in several colors. As well as boring ol' silver, gold and copper, these are also available in turquoise, fuchsia, green, midnight blue and purple (just to name a few).

I love being able to integrate the wire into my earring design by color-coordinating the wire with the beads! In this fun example, I used fuchsia niobium ear wires with pink Swarovski crystal butterflies.



I made these earrings as a custom order for one of my regular customers. Her (metal sensitive) daughter was graduating from middle school so she wanted to get her a special gift. Not only did her daughter love the pink butterflies, but they were easy to put on and she was able to wear them comfortably!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

3:47 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home